Wednesday, October 5, 2011

SuperMan!

 Today I reviewed a "super" place for kids called Mandarin Buffet and Grill in Redmond. I like to call it a "super" Mandarin buffet, or SuperMan for short.

On decor of restaurant, I give it a 4. We sat at shiny red tables with wooden chairs with cool designs cut out of them. They also have zodiac signs all over the walls. I didn't know what sign I was until a few years ago when I tried this place. I am a Taurus in case you are wondering. If you know what sign you are, then leave a post on my blog and I would  be soooo happy to read them :-) If you don't know, then go to Mandarin and figure it out. The first thing that you see when you walk in Mandarin are long plastic pearl chains hanging from the ceiling. They look really cool from a distance but they look tacky up close. They have a lot of Asian paintings on the walls of things like waves and other things in nature. 

On friendliness of staff towards kids, I give it a 5! I don't think the servers spoke English so they didn't talk to me. Even so, they were really nice and smiled a lot. They brought our drinks right away and every time I drank any water they filled it up right away. Whenever I was done with a plate, they noticed from across the room and removed it right away. Like magic. Also, the people there are very tolerant of kids. I was chasing my friend's little brother around the restaurant and he was laughing really loud. They didn't even care! This place likes kids. Trust me.

On service speed, I guess I give it a 5? This is hard to say since you serve yourself. You can get your food right away and since everyone always rushes to the buffets, everybody gets a 5!

On taste of food, I give it a 5! This is a hard place to review because there are a lot of choices and I like almost everything. Especially the meat. For those of you who don't know what a super buffet is, it is literally a "super buffet." There are special areas for different types of foods. They have a Mongolian grill, a fried food section, a soup section, a seafood section, a sushi section, a Chinese food section, a salad section, a dessert section...you get the point. They even have pizza, french fries, and self-serve ice cream. Some of the things are just plain disturbing, like fish ball soup and frog legs. Here are some pictures to get the idea...

The fried food...yummmm. My favorite is the fried sweet and sour chicken.

Some Chinese food, some strange food..here is where you want to avoid the crawfish and the frog legs.

Frog legs close up, just so you know what to avoid...

The sushi is very fresh. I like the California rolls.

Don't miss the dessert. They have things like tiramisu, cheesecake, and yummy cakes like cookies and cream cake.

My sister just couldn't decide...

Those pictures should give you an idea of what I'm talking about. The food is always steaming hot and I love hot food. So does my dad. He even puts his salad in the microwave and I am not joking. The food has lots of different rich flavors and there are lots of colorful choices. Nothing at this buffet actually tastes bad. I don't want to admit it, but even the frog legs taste fresh and yummy. I strongly recommend trying the Mongolian grill. There is a buffet to choose what you want (like noodles, meats, veggies...) and a man there who cooks it for you.

On appearance of food, I give it a 4. The food at Mongolian Buffet always looks fresh. If something starts to look somewhat old, the people who work there will replace the entire tray right away. Even though the food looks fresh, they don't go the extra mile to make it look special.

On price, I give it a 4. The prices are all you can eat, and you should see how much some people there can eat! For adults, it is $13.99. For kids 2-11, it is .95 per year. Since I am 10, it is $9.50. Kids under 2 eat for free.

SuperMan earned a "super" score of 28/30! I love this place but I do have a warning for you. You have to stop yourself at some point. When you eat here, you can eat too much and leave with a lot of regret. It is best just to try a little of everything. This is a great place to go with your family and friends and everyone can eat something different and new. Don't forget the fortune cookies! Today mine said "Curiosity is life." Think about it.

Mandarin Buffet & Grill on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I like to pretend that I am too good for super buffets and that I look down on them, but secretly I absolutely love them! After reading this post, I am now proud to admit to the world that I LOVE luke-warm mass produced quasi-asian food.

    -UnKl D

    ReplyDelete